cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

An interesting BSOD Puzzle

tpelley
Level 1
Level 1

Here's an interesting problem I wonder if anyone else has encountered?

I have a small group of Wireless users (12-15) that connect to a single 1231 Access point. About a month ago I switched the local Mac Adress list over to a RADIUS server for authentication. About that time the users started getting frequent "Blue Screens Of Death" while using the Wireless LAN. They tell me that this does not happen over a cabled connection.

All of these people are using the same make and model of Notebook PC (Toshiba Tecra S1) with the same Intel wireless adaptor installed. (Intel ProWireless 2100 3B) All are running XP Pro SP2.

As for the access point, as I mentioned previously, it's a 1231 running IOS 12.2(15)JA. The AP is also running WPA/PSK with TKIP. Authentication is Open with MAC. The MAC addresses are authenticated from a RADIUS Server.

Has anyone ever encountered a situation that would cause a Blue Screen of Death simply by authenticating to an access point?

It seems to me that this is more likely a driver issue and is the result of an undocumented feature acquired via Windows Update rather than someting the AP could cause.

3 Replies 3

frankzehrer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Terry,

you can check your driver compliance here:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/pr46/pr147/partners_pgm_partners_0900aecd800a7907.html

What RADIUS Server do you use? Do you see some strang messages in the AP Logs??

Do you have a WDS setup?

Does the Windows Eventlog gives some hints?

What says the RADIUS Server? Is there any hint in his Logfiles? Maybe something like "malformed packages" ??

Good Luck

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I'm running FreeRadius only for Mac Address authentication at this point.

I do not have ready access to the Windows event logs, but I am working with the users to get a look at one.

All logs on both the AP and the RADIUS Server are "Clean as a Whistle".

I agree with Frank, update the Intel drivers.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card