Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Neighbor discovery

rajeshk200_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have two switches which is interconnected with dot1q trunk and configured management IP with vlan 1

OSPF is configured with management subnet of 2 switches.

My question is will two switches form the OSPF adjancency and neighborship or we have to configure L3 trunk between two switches?

4 Replies 4

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

an OSPF adjacency should form over any L3 interface with valid IP and matching neighbor settings. Also make sure your IOS does support OSPF.

Given proper config and IOS there should not be any issue.

Regards, Martin

Rajesh,

As Martin indicated you shouldn't have a problem establishing OSPF adjacency with your existing setup. Two routers sharing the same IP subnet, OSPF enabled on the interface, other parameters like area, stub, hello/hold timers, authentication etc., match they should be able to form neighbor relationship.

HTH

Sundar

Hi,

Thannx for the response.

I have only L2 trunk running between two switches.

With that can we form ospf adjacency provided no configuration issues.

Rgds,

Rajesh

Though you only have a layer 2 trunk between the two switches both switches are configured with an SVI, int Vlan1, and should have network statement under the OSPF process for vlan 1 and they should be able to form neighbor relationship based on that.

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card