cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CEF adjacency updates

george_daly
Level 1
Level 1

I recently noticed the CEF switching process on a 6509 was running at about 3% whereas it used to be < 1%.

Looking at the output of 'show ip cef events' there are constant adjacency updates for /32 addresses which are DHCP servers all hanging off a 3550 which is attached to one of the 6509 ports.

We are not using DHCP snooping.

I can't see anything wrong with the trunk between the 6509 and 3550. Logs don't reveal anything of interest.

I'm a bit stuck on where to look next to diagnose this - any suggestions?

Thanks,

George

1 Reply 1

vmoopeung
Level 5
Level 5

Before you look at the CPU packet-handling architecture and troubleshoot high CPU utilization, you must understand the different ways in which hardware-based forwarding switches and Cisco IOS? Software-based routers use the CPU. The common misconception is that high CPU utilization indicates the depletion of resources on a device and the threat of a crash. A capacity issue is one of the symptoms of high CPU utilization on Cisco IOS routers. However, a capacity issue is almost never a symptom of high CPU utilization with hardware-based forwarding switches.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card