Views
Helpful
Replies

Identify what is using up bandwidth?

emphillips00
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have a small MPLS network made up of 12 remote sites with Internet access being provided from the head-end node.

We are having issues with the bandwidth across the MPLS network being insufficient. We are regularly seeing over 1 Mbit/sec being in use on the interfaces.

What are my options to identify what that traffic is? I have done some research, and it looks like CiscoWorks can do that, but I do not see anywhere that says that specifically.

I know that Cisco's NetFlow allows this sort of granularity, but I do not know how to use that data.

How are you all able to figure out what is being used on your network?

Thanks,

Eric

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

try "ip nbar protocol-discovery" on the interface level. This will not give you the granularity of NetFlow, but will allow you to determine the protocol/application causing the load. You can use "show ip nbar protocol-discovery top-n 10" to show the top 10 with respect to number of packets/bytes.

Other than that I would also check with a sniffer, what kind of traffic is on your network.

Hope this helps!

Regards, Martin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

try "ip nbar protocol-discovery" on the interface level. This will not give you the granularity of NetFlow, but will allow you to determine the protocol/application causing the load. You can use "show ip nbar protocol-discovery top-n 10" to show the top 10 with respect to number of packets/bytes.

Other than that I would also check with a sniffer, what kind of traffic is on your network.

Hope this helps!

Regards, Martin

"ip nbar protocol top 10" is a very cool command! I am definitely going to have to keep that in mind!

As I expected, gntuella is the top bandwidth usage on my network.

I downloaded a package called ManageEngine NetFlow Analyzer http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/netflow/index.html and have been playing with it. It does NetFlow analysis on a flow-basis (ie... this IP is going to this IP on port 80 and is using 300KB/sec) in a very nice graphical format. I am going to give this a shot.

But I am still curious if anything in CiscoWorks can do this too... Perhaps I should ask in the management forum.

Thanks again Martin!

-Eric

I don't know of any Cisco works capability in analaysing the network traffic.

The netflow analyser you downloaded is probably the best i have ever encountered.

Solarwinds too has its own netflow analyser but shows only the destination end point and no source

HTH

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: