cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX525 Performance Summary

bucuricap
Level 1
Level 1

I know the PIX525 has a cleartext throughput up to 330 Mbps. What would happen if I go above 330 Mbps ?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

Probably, any hardware peripherals are getting affected especially memories, Processor, interface cards etc.

It will start dropping traffic and I would say that if you are already above 250Mbps you should start feeling a degradation in performance ...

I would recommend an upgrade for your appliance (to 535 or a high performance ASA) if you are over 70% of the stated performance spec's.

Cheers.

S.

abinjola
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Throughput is the rate at which a firewall sends or receives data . It is therefore is a good measure of the channel capacity of pix

If you increase the throughput more than 300 Mb/sec this means that you actually want to burden the firewall to process and send more data within the same time frame and this would require a higher processor and higher onboard buffer to process and store the data in the queue

Thus if you increase the throughput you would see errors in form of overruns in the sh interface command

hope this helps !

Hi how can i tell what throughput my firewalls are doing at the moment. I am also getting overruns and error, and we believe its beacuse the pix can't handle the trhoughput..... does anyone know were i can find this information

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card