cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Call Routing

r-thatcher
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer with an old Active Voice voicemail system and NEC PBX. They are looking to keep the some of the same functionality of the old Active Voice system for training and support reasons.

One item is when a user dials their own extension from their phone it goes to voicemail ("forward busy") and prompts for their personal security code. I do not know of a way to replicate this in Unity without creating a forwarding rule for every extension. Currently if this is done on a test mailbox for Unity it plays the users greeting and they have to press *, enter ID, and then enter password.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-Ryan

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think I know what you're getting at but you're not describing it right.

If you dial Unity from your work phone (or any phone setup as an alternate extension), you are atuomatically logged into your mailbox - only a PW is asked for (assuming one is configured). This is the behavior out of the box and needs no configuration. Even this is skippable in 4.2(1) as there's an option to skip the PW entry if you're calling from a known extension.

I think what you mean here is if the subscriber calls in from outside (i.e. from a phone not their own) and get their greeting - they want to sign in without pressing their ID again. This is used in DID type setups typically. Unity 4.2(1) has an "easy sign in" fuction for this - so you could map, say, "4" in the user input keys for subscribers to use when their greeting is played - it will only ask for the PW, not for the ID again and it will assume you want to log in as the subscriber who owns the greeting.

Thanks Jeff.

Let me try again. :)

They are running Unity 4.2(1). There is a default "Call Routing" rule for "Direct Calls" that will send callers to "Attempt Sign-in". Under the "Forwarded Calls" there is a default rule to send callers to "Attempt Forward to Greeting".

The "easy sign in" feature is currently implemented for them as you explained above. If they call their extension they get their greeting then press 9 for "easy sign in" and are prompted for a password not ID.

The users do not have a voicemail button on their NEC phones. They check voicemail by going off hook on their NEC phone and then dialing their own extension to access voicemail. The current Active Voice system will prompts for their "Security Code" or password when this is done.

Since they are dialing their own extension to access voicemail (Calling = 1234 and Dialed = 1234), the call comes from the NEC PBX as a "Forward Busy" and matches the "Forwarded Calls" default rule which is to play the users greeting not sign-in. They then have to press 9 (easy sign in) and then enter their password.

The only workaround I know of is to create a "Call Routing" rule under ?Forwarded Calls? for each Subscriber that matches their extension (Calling number) to the dialed number and send it to "Attempt Sign-In". This would have to be done for every Unity Subscriber.

Is there any way to use a variable in the "Call Routing" section to create a general "Forwarded Calls" rule for all subscribers?

For Example:

Calling Number (ANI) = {Dialed Number (DNIS)}

then

Send caller to Attempt Sign-In.

Or, is there any other way to configure this so it works the same way as their current system?

Thanks,

-Ryan

You have a VM Pilot number, don't you? I'm assuming the NEC PBX would have one, but I've only ever worked with CallManager with Unity. Since you don't have a message key, you can just dial the VM Pilot number and Unity will see the calling number and send you to the Attempt Sign-In. You could even makeup a translation pattern or NEC equivilient to send the call to Unity. Just a thought!

Thanks Mike.

Correct, that is the typical way to access voicemail that I have seen with CallManager and integrated with traditional PBX's.

What they are looking for is if Unity can be configured the same as their current voicemali system to cut down on possible training/support issues.

-Ryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: