Views
Helpful
Replies

telnet into CSS

lukaszkhalil
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I am trying to set up remote access to my CSS via Telnet through a mgmt port.

I have configured an ip address, subnet mask and default gateway on the mgmt port

!************************ BOOT CONFIG ************************

ip address 192.168.1.1

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

gateway address 192.168.1.254

primary boot-file sg0740004

primary boot-type boot-via-disk

When i am trying to telnet in to the CSS from the default gateway everything works fine, but when I have tried to access it from the mgmt station that is not connected to the router I fail, despite that mgmt station can easily ping the ip address of the CSS default gateway.

It looks like the "gateway" command in the boot configuration of the CSS does`t work.

Thank You for any help in advance.

Lukas

7 Replies 7

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the gateway command under the boot config is only used when hte CSS boot in order to do a software recovery.

You can configure static route on the management port but no default gateway.

Also, there can't be overlapping between route in managment and route in standard interfaces.

To create the management route, use the command:

CSS11503-2(config)# ip management route ?

Route prefix

Gilles.

Is there a way to show the management routes already configured on a CSS? I'm running 7.40.305.

Hi

I believe the "show ip route" shows all the routes including mgmt routes.

Regards

Lukas

I thought it would too... but it does not. A "show run" doesn't either.

I`ve just execute "sh ip route" and "sh run" in the lab and i `ve attached the results below.

In both command you can see the mgmt routes.

Never mind. I figured out the problem... I wasn't looking at the CSS that I thought I was. Thanks!

if you want to see the management config, do a 'sho boot'.

As for the initial question, the gateway configured for the management interface [in the boot config] is only for the boot process to locate a tftp server.

Once the software is loaded, the gateway is not being used.

The ip management route can be used and should see them in the routing table and in the config.

Gilles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: