Error in Job XML generation(RME 4.0.5 software management)

Answered Question
Feb 13th, 2007

When i try to upgrade image to many device at same time i got error message "Error in Job XML generation" If i update image to devices one by one all goes fine. Any idea what causes that. Also error message "Exception thrown from TreeGenerator class com.cisco.nm.rmeng.swim.ui.helpers.JobDetailsTreeGenerator Exception is java.lang.NullPointerException" appears.

thanks

Juha

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Joe Clarke about 9 years 7 months ago

You should look at the swim_debug.log for any more information. This error may be related to a bad device display name, or some other device data that breaks well-formed XML. As for the NullPointerException, the error may be related, but more information may be found in the Tomcat stdout.log under NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/logs.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Loading.
Correct Answer
Joe Clarke Tue, 02/13/2007 - 14:30

You should look at the swim_debug.log for any more information. This error may be related to a bad device display name, or some other device data that breaks well-formed XML. As for the NullPointerException, the error may be related, but more information may be found in the Tomcat stdout.log under NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/logs.

u346874_2 Thu, 02/22/2007 - 21:32

Ok Thanks for information.

I chek both logs and found line "org.xml.sax.SAXException: Stopping after fatal error: The element type "JobDescription" must be terminated by the matching end-tag ""."

In job description i used 8 bit character job description.

After changing those letters distributing is now ok.

I have before in DFM also same problem when i used those letters in device port description. I could not change port managed state in DFM if those letters appears in device port description. That was resolved by TAC. (CSCsh50211)

Looks like i have to be careful with those letters.

Thanks mister clarke

Juha

Joe Clarke Thu, 02/22/2007 - 21:48

Most of our XML documents assume the default UTF-8 encoding. This encoding does support 8-bit characters, but not when they're encoded in ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-15 which is most likely what you were doing. I know the SWIM distribution.xml file assumes UTF-8. If you can change your encoding, you might try and see if such characters work.

u346874_2 Thu, 02/22/2007 - 22:04

All UTF-8 ISO-8859-1 and ISO-8859-15 is marked in windows regional options.

When we was resolving that DFM case CSCsh50211

we found that DFM was installed with wrong regional settings (Finnish) Dfm installation book says that regional settings must be English.

That could be one of the problem.

Juha

Joe Clarke Thu, 02/22/2007 - 22:14

Yes, LMS is only supported on U.S. English and Japanese locales. And characters encoded with a latin character set will produce non-well-formed XML in just about every [LMS] case. Sticking with 7-bit ASCII is the safe and supported way to go, but if you had to use 8-bit characters, UTF-8 should work.

Actions

This Discussion