cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM Upgrade

jheckart
Level 3
Level 3

I am currently working through a CCM upgrade from 4.1(2)SR1 -> 4.1(3) for purposes of the DST change. This is a CCM cluster of 2, and it is centralized for a total of 6 offices connected by full T1's.

I have gone through the upgrade documentation, and have no issues with the process. My question is, what is the best practice for handling all of the phones. So, I'll upgrade the Pub first, and the phones will be pointing to the Sub. Then, I'll upgrade the Sub, while the phones are pointing to the Pub. At what point do I actually restart the phones so that they'll get the new software? What's the best way to handle this?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

When you perform the Cisco CallManager portion of the upgrade, you must upgrade one server at a time, so the subscriber servers can pull the replicas of the database from the publisher database server.

First upgrade the PUB, after PUB is up and running, failover the phones to PUB, then upgrade the SUB.

I would upgrade the firmware until both servers are up and running.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_callmg/4_1/install/upgrade/upg413/faq.htm#wp1038502

Thanks.

I get the order of upgrades, and the replicating DB to the Sub's, but I am more interested in the best way to handle the phones.

I also get that the phones will failover to the pub (already upgraded) while the sub is upgrading.

After completion of all of the upgrades with the pub and sub, how do I deal with the phones? After I upgrade the device pack on both pub/sub, do I restart all phones at the same time to get the new software? What's the best way to do that part of it?

Thanks.

That will depend in the number of phones you have, I have seen that normally all of our customer restart IP Phones per blocks so you BW or you switches buffers dont get overload.

Since new IP Phones will be downloading new load file at the same time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: