cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2620 Router Reset

jsponseller
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to reset a 2620 router. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

6 Replies 6

Jerry,

I assume you want to reset the router to factory default settings. If so, issue the command 'write erase' from the privilege exec mode and issue the command 'reload'. At this point, router would prompt 'System configuration has been modified. Save? [yes/no]', type in 'no' and the router would reload with no configuration.

Instead, if you have a different requirement can you clarify what do you want reset?

HTH

Sundar

Sundar,

Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to reset the configuration on my 2620. I do not have the exec password to get to the exec command prompt. I can get to ROMMON and try to perform the reset from there. My configuration register is set to 0x2102. Should I just run the "reset" command from ROMMON then perform a "write erase" and then "reload"? Do I need to be in the 0x2142 configuraton register? Lastly will this reset only remove the flash configuration and not the IOS?

Thanks,

Jerry

Set the config register to 0x2142, reset, write erase, change the config register back to 0x2102, save the running config (wr mem) and reload. This process would only delete the configuration and not the IOS image on the flash. You would have to issue 'delete ios_image_name' or 'erase flash' to delete the IOS which, I assume, you do not want to do.

HTH

Sundar

Sundar,

from ROMMON

I can chg to register to 0x2142

I can issue the "reset"

Is the erase startup config just the "write erase" or "erase nvram"?

I can change the register to 0x2102

What is the save command?

I can run the "reload"

Thanks,

Jerry

'write erase' and 'erase startup-config' do the same thing. Latter one is the newer command.

'wr mem' or 'copy run start' should save the running config to NVRAM and that becomes your startup config.

Reload command would cause a soft reload of the router.

HTH

Sundar

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

Jerry,

Here is a link to the password recovery procedure for the 2600 series:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_password_recovery09186a0080094675.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco