cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

interent ip's on edge of network

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all can anyone tell me the normal or most common way of say putting vpn devices, firewalls etc on the edge of the network, I.e if I had a seperate vpn box, how would this get an internet ip ? where would I situate it etc, hope you can help

cheers

Carl

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Carl

Normally if you have high bandwidth capacity links subscribed at your location and have more number of tunnels being established better to have them connected onto your router which then can be connected to your firewall or vpn device. (ex: central location)

If you have less bandwidth capacity links and very less tunnels configured then you can have vpn device itself to terminate ur wan connectivity..(ex: remote locations)

regds

regds

so do people normally have a router, then the inside ethernet sits on the public ip ?

Hi Carl

If you have router in front of the firewall then you can either have the inside ethernet of router/outside ethernet of firewall in public ip block or private ip block.

I have seen mix of them in most of the networks where these kinda setup has been deployed.

regds

is they were in private block, I gather you would have to use nat on the router then ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card