cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is this possible?

bradlesliect
Level 1
Level 1

Can you have 2 default routes on a router? Since the router to ISP 2 was added, I'm not getting anything from ISP 1 and 1 is my PRIMARY ISP. All routes to ISP 1 are now going via ISP 2.

Why would that be?

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial1/1 name ISP 1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial1/0 name ISP 2

Neighbor V AS MsgRcvd MsgSent TblVer InQ OutQ Up/Down State/PfxRcd

ISP 1 4 XXXX 324169 222121 0 0 0 09:19:23 Active

ISP 2 4 XXXX 1547203 223646 3900227 0 0 2w4d 208953

3 Replies 3

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

where does the excerpt from a "show ip bgp summary" fit into your picture? Two static defaults are possible and load sharing would be done IF there are no other routing table entries pointing to the internet.

If there is BGP in addition, the picture changes. If the BGP session shows active, it basically means no BGP session established. Troubleshoot this with the ISP 1 until you learn all internet routes.

If your router has a BGP session to the second ISP it will learn all internet routes (208953 in this case). Because for every destination in the internet the longest match is found with ISP2, no traffic will go through ISP1.

Hope this helps! Please use the rating system.

Regards, Martin

So in a nutshell.... we not getting any BGP routes from ISP 1? One of engineers made a change on this particular router this afternoon, shutting a BGP session to a router at one of our remote sites. Since then ISP 1 is not sending any BGP routes.

Am i understanding routing here, or am i missing the basics? Could it be that ISP 1 saw too many flaps and stopped sending routes?

Brad

ISP 1 shows as "active" (you are actively attempting to establish a neighbor relationship) and that means that there is not any current neighbor relationship with that neighbor. And that is why you are not receiving any routes from that neighbor. Active state would NOT be because the neighbor saw too many flaps !

I suggest that you take a closer look at what the engineer changed on the router this afternoon. Something has impacted this neighbor, and changes made today would be the prime thing to look into.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card