Views
Helpful
Replies

Load sharing and fail over

Lavanholy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Cisco1841 router ,which has 2 fast ethernet ports ,Then I have loaded one 4 switch port module,I am going to have the 2 DSL ISP connections,2 DSL modems will be terminated to each of the ethernet interface.

Now I have servers connected to teh 4 switch port module,

Can I configure load sharing and fail over between the two ethernet interfaces?

Can you give me a sample configuration.

Thanks and Regarsd,

S.Venkataraman

5 Replies 5

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Venkat

Have you taken the DSL connections from the same ISP or is it from 2 different ISPs ?

I would suggest to check out for higher capacity single pipe or use the links on failover scenario instead of load balancing.

If you do load balancing on the 2 DSL links you will be able to do the outbound load balancing and also you may not get desired/proper load balancing ..

On the inbound load balancing you may not have the traffic evenly getting distributed between your links..

regds

Hi Prem,

Thanks for the info.If suppose I have same ISP,in that case can I be able to configure the load sharing and failover for both inbound and out bound?

Thanks and Regards,

S.Venkataraman.

I am interested doing something very similar with a 2811. Can you divide the switching ports in to to VLANs and route packets from the FE ports to the devices in the switch?

john.castanares
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have already done this setup recently using "same ISP". This is possible to configure the load sharing between two wan link as long it is same ISP by using "per-packet scheme"

Pls. see the sample config below:

inter loop 0

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

int fa0/0

ip address 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.252

description "link 1"

ip load-sharing per-packet

int fa0/1

ip address 3.3.3.3 255.255.255.252

description "link 2"

ip load-sharing per-packet

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 4.4.4.4 (note: next-hop is the loopback of ISP)

ip route 4.4.4.4 255.255.255.255 fa0/0

ip route 4.4.4.4 255.255.255.255 fa0/1

Note: you are required to coordinate with the isp since they need also to configure a loadbalancing from their side also.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

-john-

Hi John,

Thanks,I will try this.

Regards,

S.Venkataraman.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card