Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading WLC from 3.2 to 4.0

karunanithi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to know the procedure for Upgrading Wireless LAN Controller from 3.2 to 4.0.

Regards

Karuna

6 Replies 6

Hi,

I did it a few weeks ago. Have a look to http://cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps6366/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008052d932.html

Best Regards,

Alain-Claude

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Can we directly do the Upgradation from 3.2 to 4.0. Or any workaround is there for the same.

Regards

karuna

Hi Karuna,

I directly upgraded the WLC from 3.2.78.0 to 4.0. It looks operating correctly.

Best Regards,

Alain-Claude

We support upgrading from N-2, so if you were running 3.1 you could directly upgrade to 4.0, but anything beyond that you would need to do an interim upgrade to 3.2, prior to the upgrade to 4.0.

This holds true for WCS as well. You can upgrade diretcly to 4.0 from 3.1, but from 3.0 you would need to upgrade to 3.2 first, restore your db, then do a backup and upgrade to 4.0

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I have WLC with 3.2.150.10, hope I can directly upgrade to 4.0.179.11.

And I have AIR-LAP1242AG-A-K9 (Cisco1242 LAP) I hope this will work under L3 mode not in L2 mode can you confirm, and is there any basic config required for the AP to detect WLC.

Thanks

Karuna

Apparently, you are on track with avoiding 4.0.206.0 as there have been a number of bugs associated with it. 4.0.207.0 is supposed to be released in the Mar/Apr timeframe and (hopefully) addresses the bugs in the previous versions.

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=General&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1dddbbfd

In terms of helping the LWAPs reach the controller, you can utilize DHCP option 43 as well as a DNS entry.

You might want to review the following:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a00806c9e51.shtml#topic2

It has been my understanding that the LWAP will give priority to connecting to the last WLC it was connected to. Depending upon if the LWAPs were originally autonomous and converted to LWAP later or not, i have been told by Cisco that this oritinal address can be somewhat more persistent for converted LWAPs.

The only other comment that I would make regarding upgrading is to make sure that you review the release notes (as it sounds like you are already being very thorough about this upgrade). On at least one rev level upgrade, there were considerations as to whether the LWAPs can be connected to the WLC during the upgrade or not.

Hope your upgrade goes well.

- John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: