cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Daylight saving time for march2007

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

I haeard if I'm using NTP server and I configure NTP server to start sooner then I don't need to do anything with my router/swithces, is it correct. I have an option on my NTP server where it allows me to specify the start/end dates for dayligt saving. Please share.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nawaz

As far as NTP itself is concerned there is nothing in the NTP protocol that does anything about daylight savings time. So NTP in and of itself is no help with daylight savings time. If your server has some option for daylight savings time then you may not need to make changes on your routers and switches. I do not know how that would work, since the NTP protocol sends time in UTC. But you know your server better than we do and if you believe that the server can make the adjustment then it is reasonable that if the server makes the change that the routers and switches would not have to.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

You will need to disable the DST update service within the server's operating system and manually change it. Or, you can download the latest patch that applies to your server and it will make the transition for you dynamically. I'm assuming that you're referring to a OEM'd Compaq, IBM, or HP server from Cisco. Specifically an MCS server for Call Manager type applications.

As far as routers and switches are concerned, check out the link below to obtain the latest DST patch for IOS related devices.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a00807ca437.shtmlhttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a00807ca437.shtml

Good luck!

vgrigaliunas
Level 1
Level 1

If the Cisco routers are re-distributing time (learned via ntp from a stratum 1 server) to directly connected subnets (via ntp broadcast, etc.), is this "re-distributed time" also UTC, or does the router use it's local clock as a reference, adjusted for the UTC timezone offset ? Thanks...

The NTP protocol always sends time in UTC.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco