Can a gateway and gatekeeper work as a PBX or PSTN at the same time?

Answered Question
Feb 14th, 2007

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but

since the VIC-2FXO and VIC-2FXS cards are a two port device, I am planning to use the topology outlined in the attached diagram. My question is, can the gateway devices (C2610-2 and C2610-3) be configured and considered as gateways although they are providing the dial-tone? I understand that the device providing the dial-tone would work as a PBX or PSTN, but I am not sure whether I could configure and consider such routers with the FXS ports as a gateways at the same time?

Before I buy the NM-2V and FXO/FXS cards, can you please confirm this topology makes sense? My goal is to make all phones talk to each other, configure dial-peers, gateways and gatekeepers and use the FXS ports as a PBX and PSTN at the same time.

Attachment: 
I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by mchin345 about 9 years 7 months ago

FXS port can be used only for PSTN and FXO port is used with PBX only.

Voice ports on routers and access servers emulate physical telephony switch connections so that voice calls and their associated signaling can be transferred intact between a packet network and a circuit-switched network or device.

For a voice call to occur, certain information must be passed between the telephony devices at either end of the call, such as the devices' on-hook status, the line's availability, and whether an incoming call is trying to reach a device. This information is referred to as signaling, and to process it properly, the devices at both ends of the call segment (that is, those directly connected to each other) must use the same type of signaling.

The devices in the packet network must be configured to convey signaling information in a way that the circuit-switched network can understand. They must also be able to understand signaling information received from the circuit-switched network. This is accomplished by installing appropriate voice hardware in the router or access server and by configuring the voice ports that connect to telephony devices or the circuit-switched network.

This URL should help you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080080afd.html

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
mchin345 Tue, 02/20/2007 - 09:06

FXS port can be used only for PSTN and FXO port is used with PBX only.

Voice ports on routers and access servers emulate physical telephony switch connections so that voice calls and their associated signaling can be transferred intact between a packet network and a circuit-switched network or device.

For a voice call to occur, certain information must be passed between the telephony devices at either end of the call, such as the devices' on-hook status, the line's availability, and whether an incoming call is trying to reach a device. This information is referred to as signaling, and to process it properly, the devices at both ends of the call segment (that is, those directly connected to each other) must use the same type of signaling.

The devices in the packet network must be configured to convey signaling information in a way that the circuit-switched network can understand. They must also be able to understand signaling information received from the circuit-switched network. This is accomplished by installing appropriate voice hardware in the router or access server and by configuring the voice ports that connect to telephony devices or the circuit-switched network.

This URL should help you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080080afd.html

Actions

This Discussion