Simple question on configuring a router

Unanswered Question
Feb 14th, 2007

Hello everyone.

Have a question on setting up a 2610 router.

I'm studying for my CCNA and have a ways to go. I have brought in a 2610 router as well as a 1720 and am setting up a lab to play around in.

My question is this:

On the 2610, I would like to configure it so it will pick up IP address from my ISP via DHCP.

Some questions though.

1.) This router has a T1 CSU/DSU card in it. Correct me if I am wrong, but those are geared directly for a T-1 correct?

2.) If that is the case, would it be best to configure ethernet 0/0 to pick up a IP address via DHCP from my ISP (I don't have static IP's unfortunately.)

Been awhile since I have worked in a router, so I am working on getting my bearings.

just wanted to ask.

Thanks for the help.

Jason

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
ahmednaas Wed, 02/14/2007 - 11:19

What type of connection do you have to your ISP? Or do you want to simulate one in the lab?

thecoffeeguy Wed, 02/14/2007 - 21:05

Hello.

I have a cable modem connection with dynamic IP addressing.

Well, I have a couple of things in mind.

I have two routers: 2610 and a 1720. I also have a PIX 501.

I want to setup some type of lab with these three devices some way to get the most out of them as I can.

Does anyone have suggestions? I am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

ahmednaas Thu, 02/15/2007 - 00:36

Jason,

Your cable modem gets the dynamic IP from your ISP and I presume it has an ethernet (RJ-45) port for connection to your LAN. You can connect this to one of the routers or to the PIX.

I suggest you connect the PIX to the cable modem and then one of the routers to the PIX. Connect the 2 routers using a back-to-back serial cable to simulate a WAN connection.

To have a router interface get an ip fro dhcp:

router#config terminal

router(config)#int e0

router(config-int)#ip addr dhcp

Actions

This Discussion