CallManager & Paging

Unanswered Question
Feb 14th, 2007

Hi, I'm trying to find information on the Cisco CallManager 5.1 and paging. I know the CME can do the paging that we require but I can't find anything on the CallManager itself. What little documentation I can find states "Broadcast Paging" and thats about it.

Or if anyone has an environment with set to set and overhead paging using the Cisco CallManager (not the express) please let me know

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
b.hsu Tue, 02/20/2007 - 09:09

Many sites with an existing PBX also have a paging system, allowing users to call an extension on the PBX that forwards the audio broadcast to overhead loudspeakers. This concept is useful in workshops, parking lots, and open plan areas where a called party is not near a telephone handset. PBX manufacturers may provide dedicated line cards that interface with external paging amplifiers.

The Cisco CallManager needs the Cisco 2610 router to be configured as an H.323 gateway device. The extension number for the paging port is defined under the Cisco CallManager Route Pattern configuration page, pointing to the Cisco 2610 H.323 gateway.

When the number for the paging system is dialed, a VoIP call is made between the IP handset to the E&M port on the gateway router. The voice port goes off hook. This is indicated by the E lead on pin 7 going from open circuit to closed circuit (with respect to the ground on pin 8). This off hook condition activates the pager system's control input, and the audio is sent on pins 4 and 5 of the voice port

For more information, refer to Using Analogue E&M ports to interface to Overhead Paging Systems.

gogasca Tue, 02/20/2007 - 12:12

Callmanager 6.0 will have a point-to-point intercom feature that can be used for phone-to-phone(unicast) intercom. However, Callmanager 6.0 still does not support paging(broadcast) to multiple phones.

Lots of customers have requested paging, but still no word on when this feature will be included. Also, 6.0 scheduled for release in May/June timeframe.

You need a third party vendor which do it, most of our customers uses Valcom, Bogen, Viking or Berbee Informacast for doing Paging.

Actions

This Discussion