cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCIE R&S question

cristip
Level 1
Level 1

What are the differences betwenn LACP and PAGP ? I know that LACP is a IEEE protocol but other than that they seem to be the same.

Can anybody please point me to a document that would help me to understand the differences ?

Thank you

Cristian

6 Replies 6

Thank you I had read this when I posted the message.

Couldn't understand a some of the things explained there

LACP system priority- couldn't understand the way it is used

LACP port priority- this is OK I understand

LACP administrative key- this is not, I don't understand this

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

They are the same , lacp is the IEEE standard and pagp is cisco proprietary etherchannel protocol . I believe the IEEE standard was even derived from the cisco's version . The only real differences are the syntaxes on the interfaces , the terminalogy is slightly different .

The one big advantage LACP has over PAGP is the interoperability with the other vendor switches. PAGP, being Cisco Proprietary, cannot aggregate channels with other vendor switches.

HTH

Sundar

the priority mechanisms above mentioned do not exist in PAGP. So that may be an important differece but as I wrote above I do not undersatand the way it works.

mlasarko
Level 1
Level 1

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/126.html is a good place to start. It covers both IOS and CatOS basics for both protocols. Use the examples to configure a pair of switches and then watch your debugs. Lab it out! Best, ~M

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco