Hands on for QoS and Multicasting!

Unanswered Question
Feb 14th, 2007

Well I have a rack to pratice and as such I never has any problem working with routing protocols and switching. Now I can configure QoS and multicasting on a router but how do I know if its working. Is there any tool that can generate traffic on different ports? How can I simulate a multicast source and reciever in lab environment?

Thanks and regards,

Saurabh

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jcrussell Wed, 02/14/2007 - 16:11

If you want a device to join a multicast group, you can do "ip igmp join-group" on the interface. On 12.3 and earlier, you can use the "rtr" commands to send packets to a multicast destination. On 12.4, I think the command has changed to "ip sla".

There is a program called MC Hammer that you can stick on 2 PC's at each end of a network. You can really pulverize a network with it.

satcomer1968 Fri, 02/16/2007 - 13:51

For the multicasting I use VLC media player.

Steps:

1. Start VLC media player on source machine

2. Select fav audio or video file you'd like to multicast

3. select multicast IP address to use

4. open VLC player on destination machine and subscribe to that multicast address and traffic will now flow over your network.

For other TCP/UDP based traffic I use JPERF to generate on one machine and receive on another. Very flexible as to port and window sizes to use for the packets.

There are several freeware programs to do this.

Mark

Actions

This Discussion