cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

XML to change system message on phones

olighec
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to create an Idle URL that will do nothing but update the text in the "system message" bar above the softkeys on our 7940, 7960, and 7970 IP phones. Is there an option that will leave everything else on the screen untouched and only place text in that bar?

I am running CCME 3.4.

Thanks,

Chris

7 Replies 7

XmlEquals
Level 3
Level 3

You can't change that 'prompt' field without pushing a whole XML 'thing' to the phone, ruining the effect you are going for entirely.

The closest thing I can think of is the CiscoIPPHoneStatus element, which will allow you to push a (relatively) non-obtrusive band across the lower-middle section of an IP phone. This bar will only show up if the phone is IDLE, and I suppose it would be bad thing if the user had lines/speed dials defined in line 5/6, because I think it would be covered up...

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I was afraid that that was going to be the case. I'll start playing around with the CiscoIPPhoneStatus element.

There actually is a way.. not via pushing, but TAPI allows the modify that line - and it's currently the only way (not even JTAPI allows for it).

I'm not familiar with TAPI, is there a framework for using that to communicate with the phones?

The reason I want to change it, is because we used to have our company tagline in that space, but now that two companies share the same CCME, we cannot do that, so I would like to push the current outside temperature and a message like "Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening" etc. to the phones. I don't, however, want to cover up the background images on the 7970s or the speed-dials on the 7960s and 7940s. The standard CCME "system message" option won't allow that unless I go in an change the message manually all the time.

You can find a TAPI guide here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_programming_reference_guides_list.html

My suggestion: forget about it unless you know TAPI.. there's a steep learning curve (and it's plain C which doesn't make things any easier unless that's your primary language), and considering the application, that just seems way too much effort.

Depending on which programming language you "speak", you could look for a TAPI wrapper (there are for .NET and Java if I'm not mistaken), but I'm not sure whether they'd support Cisco's TAPI extensions (one of them being the ability to write to that status line).

I have CCME.

In the documentation, I don't see any commands to change this status line.

What is the command, and is it possible on CCME ?

Thx

Do the following in the CCME router

* Conf terminal

telephony-service

system message " your message"

Plase adive ist solve your problem

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: