cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1500 series support 7920 ip phone?

cots_2005
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I need to design a Voice wireless network. I want to use 1500 APS for outdoor . But I need to know if the 7920 ip phone works with the 1500 bridge.

I see the 7920 datasheet, and just support this access points:

Access-Point Support Cisco Aironet? access points, including the Cisco Aironet 1300, Aironet 1200, Aironet 1100, Aironet 350, and Aironet 340 series, the Cisco Aironet 1100 Series Lightweight, and the Cisco Aironet 1130

So Can I implement 1500 series bridge on my voice wireless network?

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tonatiuh,

I can't find any info on the 7920 working with the 1500 mesh AP, but IP Phone 7921G (NEW MODEL) does (I'm guessing the 7920G does as well). Have a look;

When configuring voice over the wireless LAN, use access points that run Cisco IOS Version 12.3(8)JA or later. Controllers should be running version 4.0 and higher with IOS Version 12.3(8)JX or later.

The Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921G supports Cisco Aironet Access Points (APs) that can run Cisco IOS in autonomous mode and APs that run in lightweight mode with lightweight access point protocol (LWAPP) and use a wireless LAN controller. Table below lists the supported AP models and their operation mode in the WLAN.

Supported Access Points and Modes

Access Point Models

Cisco Aironet 350 Series AP

Yes Autonomous Mode

No Lightweight Mode

Cisco Aironet 1100 Series AP

Yes Autonomous Mode

Yes Lightweight Mode

Cisco Aironet 1130 Series AP

Yes Autonomous Mode

Yes Lightweight Mode

Cisco Aironet 1200 Series AP

Yes Autonomous Mode

Yes Lightweight Mode

Cisco Aironet 1240 Series AP

Yes Autonomous Mode

Yes Lightweight Mode

Cisco Aironet 1300 Series AP

Yes Autonomous Mode

Yes Lightweight Mode

Cisco 1000 Series Lightweight AP

No Autonomous Mode

Yes Lightweight Mode

Cisco 1500 Series Outdoor Mesh AP

No Autonomous Mode

Yes Lightweight Mode

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080795b94.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

The 7920 series phones will associate to the 1500, but voice over MESH is not supported at this time.

Dear Rob

Dear Rob

all Datasheets and realease note for 7921 mention that VoWLAN is not currently supported in conjunction with MESH technology (1500) and link in your post is not reachable can you put link again and also confirm me if 7921 working with 1510 as autonoumes system

The 7920 and 7921 are not supported on MESH platforms (1500 series).

Ok guys. The skinny on this is that voice is now covered on the 1500 series APs. It has pretty much always worked when the MESH was designed in a way that mimics an indoor voice ready solution. In other words, -68RSSI for cell edges. I had voice running from not only Cisco phones, but also Spectralink and Vocera, nearly 4 years ago. Bear in mind that with the new 1522 and 1524 antenna enhancements that voice coverage is much better now. Again, when deployed like in an indoor environment. When typical outdoor distances between APs (1000 feet apart or so) are taken into consideration you quickly realize that fast roaming is usually out the door. At that point in time your voice network is more similar to Skype than it is to a toll based voice solution. There will also not be any real 911 services provided either since there is no way to locate the phone other than closest AP. That my friends will be changing soon. Stay tuned to some upcoming announcements about TDOA support.

Sure 1500 may have voice features, but Cisco doesn't support VoMESH for any client. There are too many quetionmarks about # of hops, jitter, etc.

Are there customers running VoMESH? Sure, but is not a supported solution.

I beg to differ. Since version 4.2 and its MESH train equal, WMM and QoS have been supported on the 1500 series. Voice is supported, but under the above described scenarios only. I worked with Navdeep and Jaggy myself. Please see the link below under Features and Benefits. Pay close attention to the QoS section and the direct mention of support for video streaming and voice. Location services via TDOA will be available in the near future as well. This will enable several applications including 911 and will put Cisco on par with several other outdoor AP manufacturers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps8368/product_data_sheet0900aecd8066a16c.html

Well I can tell you that we don't support use of our Cisco 7920 series with the 1500 series. Again, will it work yeah probably so, but we are not ready to offer that as a supported solution where our Cisco handset is involved.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card