cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How often or what causes a date and time update on a phone?

MikeTomasko
Level 4
Level 4

How often should a phone check the CCM server for a date and time update or what causes an update? I have a 7940 and a 7960 in my lab and I was doing some DST testing. The phones have been idle since I changed the date and time on the CCM server and it's been about 18 hours and the phones haven't updated yet. If I place a call from the phones, then the date and time will update. Is this normal behavior?

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mike,

My understanding is that this is expected behaviour. The older (non-Java) IP Phone updates its time at the completion of a call or if it is restarted. Usually I would reset the phones to "jump start" the process.

Hope this helps!

Rob

mchandak
Level 7
Level 7

If u want the time to be updated on all the phones after changing the time, restart tftp server and reset the phones.

From what I can remember, the phones poll for the new time around 1 or 2 AM everyday. Also, after the phone is used the time is reset as the last msg always sent to the CM after a onhook msg/return to default screen is that update the date/time

I changed the date and time on my CCM server about 3 PM yesterday and as of 9 AM this morning, the date and time never updated. They didn't update till I completed a call on the phone. It was a 7940 and a 7960.