Views
Helpful
Replies

ISDN and FRAME-RELAY

microcisconet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I currently have two 2500 routers, to get my hands dirty on ISDN and FRAME-RELAY experiments do i need seperate routers for them?. Because i cannot see where to connect to in regards to the required connections i.e.

2 x Asynchronous/Synchronous Serial Interfaces (DB60)

4 x Serial Interfaces (DB60)

1 x ISDN Interface (RJ45)

1 x Token Ring interface (DB9 and RJ45)

THat i normally hear about when refering to ISDN or FRAME RELAY.

Somebody please put me through.

Secondly i would like to connect my 2500 to the internet ...please put me through how.

Many thanks in Advance

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Olu

There are some challenges in what you want to do with this equipment. If each router has 1 x ISDN interface then you can use that for ISDN - but you will need some other piece of equipment to furnish the ISDN switch functionality. You can not just connect 2 ISDN interfaces back to back.

You would be able to do some testing of Frame Relay if you connected the routers back to back - if one of the cables is a DCE cable and one cable is a DTE cable. The testing that you can do with 2 routers back to back is somewhat limited. You could do much better testing if you had a third router which could be configured as a frame relay switch.

Connecting your routers to the Internet will be possible if you connect one of the serial interfaces to an Internet Service provider.

The routers have token ring LAN interfaces. Unless you have some token ring MAUs to establish the connections you will not be able to do effective testing using the token ring LAN interfaces.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

Frame relay:

You can turn one of your routers into a frame relay switch and connect it to other routers using rolled-over serial cables to practise FR setup.

ISDN:

You can connect your routers to the ISDN network using the BRI you mentioned.

Token ring: useless.

Internet:

ISDN, if available in your area, is the easiest way to connect your hardware.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: