Views
Helpful
Replies

% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links

hassan_syed6
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 2611-XM. I have a FastEthernet Module connected on it with 16 ports.

Everytime i try to configure the IP address on the FastEthernet , i keep getting this error % IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links".

When i do "show vlan-switch" i do see all the FastEthernet's are under VLAN-1. I do not want these ports to be under VLAN-1. Is there a way i can individually configure the IP addresses on these FastEthernets. I removed the VLAN-'s but still didn't work. Any ideas, help or documentation would be appreciated.

Regards,

Hassan.

6 Replies 6

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You cannot put an address on the switchports , you must create a layer 3 SVI and then put the ports into that vlan .

Hello Glen,

What you are saying. I should define VLAN's and then assign the FastEthernet Ports to these VLAN's. Right...

Hi,

No Glenn meant you need to make your interfaces as L3 SVI and then assign an IP address to it.

Do this -->

conf t

int

no switchport

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

or if you want the port to be a member of VLAN, do this-->

conf t

int vlan

ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

int

switchport access vlan

Have a look the following link -->

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804d78a5.html

Let us know more clearly what are you trying to do, so that we can help you better.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

AbhisheK

Please rate all helpful posts!!!

Hello Abhishek,

Actually, i can create a VLAN-40 and assign the Ip address to this VLAN-40. Then under Fas 1/0 i can put 'switchport access vlan 40'.

When i do "sh vlan-switch" because this is 2611-XM. i do see that VLAN's so i created a new VLAN, which is VLAN-40.

But i was just wondering is there a way for me to individually assign the IP addresses on my FastEthernet interfaces, rather then combining them into different VLAN's. I did tried under FastEthernet " no switchport" then try to assign it. But it didn't take it.

Could this be due to the IOS c2600-jz-ms..not sure any help will be apprecaited.

Thanks,

Thank you for this explanation!!!!

Regards,

Ratnavo Dutta

Try this:

configure terminal

int fax/x

no switchport

no shutdown

ip address X.X.X.X (ip) X.X.X.X (subnet mask)

end

then you can check the configuration:

show ip interface brief

where you are going to be able to look at the status of the interfaces and the ip addresses. The command no switchport basically bring the L2 interface to a routable link (L3).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: