cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Parallel paths vs multilink

smivanowsky
Level 1
Level 1

EIGRP has a limit of six parralel paths. If I use multilink on 6 T1 lines will that be one path. Could I use in theory 36 T1 lines? Any advice would be appreciated. I currently have a T3 in place that averages 10MB of utilization and want to re3duce costs by getting rid of the T3.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Stephen

In theory you should be able to have 6 multilinks with 6 T1s in each multilink bundle. There would be some cost to provide the number of T1 interfaces that you are talking about. And there would be some additional overhead on the router to manage the links within each multilink bundle and some overhead to manage the 6 paths as compared to managing a single path. But I believe that is could be done.

I wonder if a more cost effective solution might be to ask your provider about a partial rate T3. If you do not need the full rate T3 then what would they charge for 10MB (or 15MB to give yourself a bit of room to grow)?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Stephen

In general the more memory a router has the better off you are. But knowing how much memory is economically justified needs to know more about what kind of things you will be doing with the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

You're going to need a very high end router (including the cost of the T1 interface cards or port adapters) to pull this off. But I understand what you're getting at. One time charges are much easier to digest than monthly recurring charges.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Stephen

In theory you should be able to have 6 multilinks with 6 T1s in each multilink bundle. There would be some cost to provide the number of T1 interfaces that you are talking about. And there would be some additional overhead on the router to manage the links within each multilink bundle and some overhead to manage the 6 paths as compared to managing a single path. But I believe that is could be done.

I wonder if a more cost effective solution might be to ask your provider about a partial rate T3. If you do not need the full rate T3 then what would they charge for 10MB (or 15MB to give yourself a bit of room to grow)?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I had checked with the carrier (Verizon) and in our area it is full T3 or nothing. T3 is around $4500/month. Single T1 is $250/month. Do you see a need to pack as much memory on the routers as possible? Thanks for the help on the multilink.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: