Views
Helpful
Replies

Begining frame-relay

newnetman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Can some please take the pain to take me through each step in configuring a frame-relay plz?

I'm determined for CCNA and cannot afford the tuition but can afford three routers as explained by the book im using. Unfortunately i cannot gather all the wants me to get(probably misconception) in order to set-up frame relay.

Please i need the steps to guide as if to a lay man i.e what goes from one router to the other, type of cable to link them etc and to what port, how the remaining two routers will particiapte etc

Hope somebody can help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CSCO10892433
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, newnetman

Here is the step-by-step

1.Go to ebay and buy the following stuff

One set of 4-serial port router. Two affordable options are 2520 and 2610+NM-4A/S.This will be your frame-relay switch

Three set of 2-serial port routers. To make things simple, I would suggest 2501(it has 2 fixed serial port) or 2610+WIC-1T(in this case, you have only 1 serial port, but it is not a problem for our lab building)

three pieces of Back to Back DCE/DTE DB60 Crossover Cables. You might want to add one cable to connect 2 routers(not frame-relay) so you can practice PPP without the need to re-wire the cable.

2.Connect each router according the following cabling plan

FR.s0R1.s0

FR.s1R2.s0

FR.s2R3.s0

R1.s1R2.s1 (Suppose you have additional cables and additional ports)

Each cable has one side marked as DCE and the other side marked as DTE. To make things simple we choose the DCE site to be connected to the FR and the DTE site to be connected to a normal router.(FR.s0 means serial port #0 of Frame-relay switch, FR.s1 means serial port #1 of Frame-relay switch,etc)

3.Copy the commands I write on the attached file and paste to your Frame-Relay

Here I give you 3 PVCs :

R1.s0.102<--->R2.s0.201

R1.s0.103<--->R3.s0.301

R2.s0.203<--->R3.s0.302

If you want create your own pvcs with different value, just substitute the above numbers to your own

4.Last step. Finish the PVC on R1,R2, and R3, but for being a CCNA candidate, that's what you must know and configure it by yourself, isn't it?(Anyway, if you still feel difficult on this step, just let me know.)

Good Lucks

SSLIN

P.S. It takes me a while to write this step-by-step. I'm happy doing it. I feel no pain.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

what routers do you have? Usually, in a lab, you would have one router configured as a Frame Relay switch. You connect this switch to other routers through serial ports using a special DCE-DTE Rollover serial cable.

Here is a basic frame relay config:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk237/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094a3c.shtml

CSCO10892433
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, newnetman

Here is the step-by-step

1.Go to ebay and buy the following stuff

One set of 4-serial port router. Two affordable options are 2520 and 2610+NM-4A/S.This will be your frame-relay switch

Three set of 2-serial port routers. To make things simple, I would suggest 2501(it has 2 fixed serial port) or 2610+WIC-1T(in this case, you have only 1 serial port, but it is not a problem for our lab building)

three pieces of Back to Back DCE/DTE DB60 Crossover Cables. You might want to add one cable to connect 2 routers(not frame-relay) so you can practice PPP without the need to re-wire the cable.

2.Connect each router according the following cabling plan

FR.s0R1.s0

FR.s1R2.s0

FR.s2R3.s0

R1.s1R2.s1 (Suppose you have additional cables and additional ports)

Each cable has one side marked as DCE and the other side marked as DTE. To make things simple we choose the DCE site to be connected to the FR and the DTE site to be connected to a normal router.(FR.s0 means serial port #0 of Frame-relay switch, FR.s1 means serial port #1 of Frame-relay switch,etc)

3.Copy the commands I write on the attached file and paste to your Frame-Relay

Here I give you 3 PVCs :

R1.s0.102<--->R2.s0.201

R1.s0.103<--->R3.s0.301

R2.s0.203<--->R3.s0.302

If you want create your own pvcs with different value, just substitute the above numbers to your own

4.Last step. Finish the PVC on R1,R2, and R3, but for being a CCNA candidate, that's what you must know and configure it by yourself, isn't it?(Anyway, if you still feel difficult on this step, just let me know.)

Good Lucks

SSLIN

P.S. It takes me a while to write this step-by-step. I'm happy doing it. I feel no pain.

Hi SSLIN,

I cannnot be greatful enough with

this wealth of knowledge you have imparted on me and many others (unknown readers).I'm MOST GREATFUL MATE most especially for the precious it took you to help me.

Again,i have acquire two routers already (2 x 2500 with ver 12.3). With these i have two serial port each 0 and 1 but is like your step 2 guide requires 3 serial ports, plz correct if im wrong?.

In that case, should i make the third router (to be bought) a 3 ports one (2610+NM-4A/S)?

possibly in addition to these 2 router already mention, could you please give me a link if possible to a possible third viable router on ebay or elsewhere?

May you be abundantly reward by our Good God in heaven as you have tremendously blessed me too.

The most used route in labs for FR switching is the 2522 (with 8 A/S ports). The 2520 is cheaper but has only a total of 4 serial ports.

Sorry for the late reply.

The reason why I suggest a 4-serial-port routers is that a lot of senarios regarding the frame-relay you will encounter in the future is based on a "hub-and-spoke" topology -- one hub router and at least two spoke routers.Each router connet to one serial port on the frame-relay switch. So the router functioning as a frame-relay switch need at least three serial port.

In your case, another 2-serial-port router might meet your needs now, but I believe, as you study more and more in the future, you will need the forth router(or more?) very soon.

As for the link, you can go to ebay website, type the following keywords in the serach box:

cisco 2520

cisco 2522

cisco 2610

NM-4A/S

NM-8A/S

I believe you can find what you want.

Good Lucks

SSLIN

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: