Views
Helpful
Replies

Direct Connection to Pix515E not working

edsantos1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a pix515E and am trying to connect directly to it to upgrade the software to 6.3(5). I have configured my PC to be in the 10.132.0.x network with an 8 bit mask. I connected a cross-over cable to the PIX's inside interface and configured the interface with an IP in the same subnet. The PIX has a stock config as I just did a write erase on it prior to configuring the IP on the inside interface. The inside interface is configured to be 100full and it showing as up/up however I cannot ping the PIX from my PC and vice versa. Could someone please offer some advise on what else I need to check/do??

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ed

Can you make sure that your PC is not running a firewall that would stop the ping working.

You should be able to ping the inside interface.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I am trying this from a laptop that does not have any third party firewall software on it and even the windows firewall is disabled but I still cannot ping the inside interface. There seems to be connectivity because when I remove the crossover cable the interface status becomes up/down and when I plug the cable back in, the status becomes up/up so it does seem like the layer 1 connectivity is there.

Any other suggestions??

Hi

Okay first check your subnet masks on both devices just to make sure there isn't a mismatch.

You could also try adding on the pix

icmp permit any inside

although you shouldn't need it.

Also double-check which interface your are connecting into to ensure it is the interface you think it is.

HTH

Jon

Hi Jon,

I had the subnet masks checked by 3 different people and all confirmed that it was okay. It is just an 8 bit mask. We doubled checked the interface and confirmed that it is the correct one. We can see it up/up and removed the crossover cable and saw it change to up/down so this confirmed that we were looking at the right interface.

Hi Ed

Is your PC NIC set to 100 full. If not try auto on Pix.

Could you send me output of a "sh ver"

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: