cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DoS error messages - What do the numbers mean?

mistr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I have a router using CBAC with error messages such as this:

Feb 16 01:05:11.676 CET: %FW-4-ALERT_ON: getting aggressive, count (15/500) current 1-min rate: 501

Feb 16 01:05:14.017 CET: %FW-4-ALERT_OFF: calming down, count (10/400) current 1-min rate: 369

My understanding from docs online and also Richard Deal's book is that there were more than 500 connections started in the last minute which resulting in the first message, this then dropped below the low threshold of 400 resulting in the second message.

But I can find no mention anywhere on what the 'count (15/500)' and 'count (10/400)' numbers mean on each line. Is this how many sessions were blocked by CBAC in the last minute?

Can anyone enlighten me on this please?

Thanks

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes you are right it has increased by 15 in the last minute and crossed the threshold of 500 and given you that log.

HTH

Hoogen

Do rate if I have helped out.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

hoogen_82
Level 4
Level 4

Rate of new connections is 15 in the last minute and has crossed the threshold of 500.

Again the rate of new connection is 10 and at present droppped near threshold 400.

HTH

Hoogen

Hi Hoogen,

Thanks for the reply but I'm still a little confused. The error message says current 1-min rate:501 so how can there have been only 15 in the last minute?

Does that mean the rate of new connections has increased by 15 to 501 in the last minute? Ie in the previous minute it was 501-15=486?

Thanks

Mike

Yes you are right it has increased by 15 in the last minute and crossed the threshold of 500 and given you that log.

HTH

Hoogen

Do rate if I have helped out.

Awesome. Thanks Hoogen, I really appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me. I will rate your post.

Mike

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card