Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAPP AP1242 in bridge mode

Hi,

The goal of our application is a data transmission network between the ground infrastructure and vehicles. On the ground, we planned to use LWAPP AP1242 managed by a WLC. On board, we planed to use a MAR3200, fitted with 2 WMIC. In a first time, we are setting up a test bed with a WLC2006 (v4.0.206) and 5 AP1242 max (a single AP1242 is enough for a first step).

The ground infrastructure seems operating properly and a PC client can connect easily to the WLAN.

On board, the WMIC can not be set in AP mode in our application framework, which means that a bridge mode looks mandatory. But, when a bridge mode is set, the dot11radio interface can not associate because no bridge responded. After checking (doc, forum), it looks that the LWAPP AP1242 does not support the bridge mode:

* http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6306/products_qanda_item09186a00806a4da3.shtml

* http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=WLAN%20Radio%20Standards&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddc209c

So I have 2 questions:

1 - Can it be confirmed that the AP1242 in LWAPP mode does not support the bridging feature.

2 - If yes, which solution is recommended? A possible solution involves the AP1242 in autonomous mode (without WLC), but we do not take advantage of the monitoring of the APs by the WLC (Channel allocation, load balance...).

Looking forward to your answer for the adaptation of our test bed.

Best Regards,

Alain-Claude

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct. The LAP's and WLC's, in general, do not support bridging. That being said, the workaround here, is on the MAR when you configure the 2.4Ghz WMIC, under the Dot11Radio0 interface you issue the command, station-role workgroupbridge universal < connected mac address>. The connected MAC address should be the F0 of the MARC, or which ever port you have wired up to connect to. This fakes the LWAPP architecture into thinking that the interface on the MARC is directly connecting to the wifi.

This is how we get the MAR to connect to the MESH, and should work for normal LAP's as well.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your answer, which is positive for us: without LAP, we would have had to manage each AP "manually". I will now examine the new way you propose and will probably come back because the MAR3200 configuration is not so easy.

Best Regards,

Alain-Claude

Hi Stephen,

The WMIC runs the "c3201-k9w7-mx.122-15.JK5" release. Under the Dot11Radio0 interface, the "station-role" command accepts the following parameters:

* install Install Mode for Antenna Alignment

* non-root Bridge non-root

* root Bridge root

* workgroup-bridge Workgroup Bridge

When "workgroup-bridge" is selected, no additional parameter is accepted, specially "universal IP address". I checked the software release: it seems up to date. Am I missing anything?

Thanks by advance for your help

Best Regards,

Alain-Claude

Hi Stephen,

I have updated the WMIC with c3201-k9w7-mx.123-8.JK. "universal mac address" is now available and the working order is better. So the configuration is in progress...

Best Regards

Alain-Claude

Hi Stephen,

I was turning around a long time the connection between the MAR3200 and the WMIC. In fact, the connected MAC address should not be the F0 of the MARC, or which ever port the WMIC is wired up to connect to. It should be the MAC address of the vlan the port is switched on.

I posted another message on 06/03/2007 ("http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=Getting%20Started%20with%20Wireless&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1dddc433"), which is now obsolete.

Best Regards,

Alain-Claude

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card