ospf nssa and default-gateway

bellocarico
Level 1
Level 1

Let's say I've got 3 routers

R1 -- R2 -- R3

R1 and R2 are in area 0

R2 and R3 are in area 1 nssa

R3 runs also RIP and redistributes rip into OSPF. So it's an ASBR.

Now, how do I make R1 learn about this default route coming from R3?

I've tried already:

1) create a static route on R3 + redistribute static subnets under OSPF --> no luck

2) Still on R3 under ospf router config: default-information originate always --> no luck

Thanks to read!

5 Replies 5

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

will you please post the out put of show run...

regards

Devang

To generate a default route in NSSA ASBR, use the command 'area (#) nssa default-information-originate' under the OSPF process. A default route needs to exist in the routing table for this to work.

HTH

Sundar

Hi there,

You need "area nssa default-information-originate" on the ABR (R2 in your case) --> For NSSA a Type 7 default route is injected into the NSSA Area.

As stated by Cisco:

"The ABR originates the 0.0.0.0 type 7 LSA, even though it does not have a default route."

How OSPF Injects a Default Route into a Not So Stubby Area:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a00801ec9fa.shtml

The ABR originates the 0.0.0.0 type 7 LSA, even though it does not have a default route.

r2.2.2.2#show ip route 0.0.0.0

% Network not in table

r1.1.1.1#show ip route ospf

O IA 6.0.0.0/8 [110/65] via 5.0.0.2, 00:00:18, Serial2/1/0

O*N2 0.0.0.0/0 [110/1] via 5.0.0.2, 00:00:18, Serial2/1/0

HTH, Please rate if it does,

Mohammed.

The original poster wants to originate default route on R3, which is an ASBR, for which you need to have to have a default route in the routing table to originate one. What you are saying is true only the if the router originating the default route is an ABR.

From CCO;

Default Type 7

The following configuration generates a type 7 default route. You can configure this command on any NSSA ASBR or NSSA ABR with the following rules:

* NSSA ASBR can generate a default only when it has a default route in its routing table.

* NSSA ABR can generate a default route with or without a default route in its own routing table.

The following command is used to generate an NSSA default route:

router ospf 1

area 1 nssa default-information originate

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/104/nssa.html

HTH

Sundar

Hi Sundar,

I totally agree with you, and i am sorry for seeing the original poster's request the other way round.

regards,

Mohammed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card