cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick Dial Peer Question...

daftari__
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up a VOIP dial peer. I have 6 destination patterns that should all be exiting out the same interface.

Should I create 6 separate dial peers? , or,

Should I place 6 distinct "destination-pattern" statements in the same dial peer?

Thanks very much for your help everyone.

10 Replies 10

mchandak
Level 7
Level 7

u can have only 1 destination-pattern. You will need 6 different dial-peers.

Thank you for your help and clarification MChandak. I will go ahead and do that.

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If your destinations are related, you may be able to combine. If your destinations were 3100, 3200 and 3300, you could use "destination-pattern 3[123]00, for example.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

thanks bbuffin...actually they are all toll free numbers that are being passed through soe 800, 866, 888, etc. Would you suggest doing something like 8[068][068]...... or would that be a security issue as it opens up a wider # of phone numbers to be transferred across the ipl? thanks

You'll want to make the scope of the dial peer as narrow as possible, so if you only want toll free numbers using this path, then I would recommend using dial peers specific to these numbers. Using a pattern like 8[068][068]....... would allow a number such as 8061234567 to route using this dial peer which is probably undesirable.

Brandon

Good point there Brandon, thanks. If I want to, say, permit all of the following:

would the following pattern be of use 800[1-38]...... ?

Thanks again

Yes, absolutely.

Brandon

excellent, thanks very much.

Some of the DIDs are in a range, so it makes this much easier. However, some of them are just completely distinct phone numbers. In your experience, should I just inividually set up destination patterns for each number.

Thanks again

I would use the range where you can to cut down on administration and the size of your configuration. Dial peers do add to the size of your configuration and therefore, the amount of memory taken up on the router.

Brandon

WIll do, thanks very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: