getting fast busy when dialing toll free numbers

Answered Question
Feb 16th, 2007

Hello there, I have found a minor issue with our phone system that I just can't seem to figure out. There are a handful of directory numbers (6082, 6308 and some others) that are unable to dial toll-free numbers. When you call one you get a fast busy. What I can't figure out is why, because the toll-free numbers are active and can be dialed from other directory numbers (6084, 6185, plus numerous others). When I run the dialed number analyzer, it would indicate that the call should go through. All of the directory numbers are in the same calling search space (LD_CSS), the same partition (Internal_PT) and they use the same route list (LD_RL), which points to the same route groups (LD_RG1, LD_RG2) but for some reason that I cannot seem to figure out when you try to call a toll free number from 6082 you get a fast busy but when you call from 6084 it goes through just fine. If anyone has run into this before and can offer any assistance I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Robert Phillips about 9 years 7 months ago

This may be a long shot, but I had the same trouble a while back. It turned out that the DN's that where placing the calls did not have an external phone number mask. It only affected some 800 numbers. As soon as I added a proper mask the calls went through.

Overall Rating: 4.4 (7 ratings)
mpozorski Sat, 02/17/2007 - 19:14

I will upload the trace file from the time that the calls happened. I already had tracing all setup and running on the server. The calling number that does not work is 6082, the calling number that works is 6084, the called number is 18669081853, and the call that failed was about 3:33pm and the call that went through was right after that so about 3:35pm. Please let me know if you se anything that looks out of place. Thanks

Attachment: 
rob.huffman Sat, 02/17/2007 - 16:08

Hi Matt,

Just a couple of thoughts here to add to Gonz's good info. Is there any shared line appearances on 6082 or 6308? Perhaps if there are any shared lines they might have a different CSS. The other thing that I would try first off would be to delete one of the non-working phones and try to reinstall it using the "copy" feature from one of the working phone profiles.I guess one other thing to check would be to see if the working vs non-working phones have different settings like device pools etc.

Hope this helps!

Rob

mpozorski Sat, 02/17/2007 - 19:19

thanks Rob. Actually 6082 was a shared appearance because I put it on my phone to test it out. I thought it could have been an issue so i removed it from the original phone it was on and just had it as a second line on my phone and had the same result. I will try to delete and reinstall one of the phones that has the issue and see if that resolves anything. They are all part of the same device pool and have the same features such as softkey's etc. so I don't think it's the phones. In any event I will try to rebuild the phones and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice, I really appreicate it.

mparekh Sun, 02/18/2007 - 05:08

I would recommend using Route Plan Report and check if 6082 is an Unassigned DN. IF it is delete it and reset the phone.

Correct Answer
Robert Phillips Sun, 02/18/2007 - 07:33

This may be a long shot, but I had the same trouble a while back. It turned out that the DN's that where placing the calls did not have an external phone number mask. It only affected some 800 numbers. As soon as I added a proper mask the calls went through.

lfulgenzi Sun, 02/18/2007 - 09:09

I can support this observation. I had a similar problem that arose when I was fooling around with external calling masks. All calls worked except toll free numbers. After fixing things, everything worked again.

mpozorski Mon, 02/19/2007 - 07:57

Wow, I cannot believe that actually worked. Thank you very much for that little suggestion. I checked and the lines did not have any external mask so when I put one on them I was able to dial the toll free numbers. I have added our main number as an external number translation when dialing toll free numbers so hopefully this does not crop up again. Once again thanks for the suggestion.

rob.huffman Fri, 02/23/2007 - 07:41

Hi Folks,

I justed wanted to say Thanks to both Rob & Lelio for posting a resolution to this most "bizzare" problem. I couldn't believe that the lack of an External Phone Number Mask could be the cause of this. The more I thought about it, it kinda makes sense. Anyways 5 points for both of you from this end :)

Rob

Actions

This Discussion