cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10Base-T Hub network

ashraf_can2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there! I hope this all finds you in the very best of health and faith. I have a question regarding the 10Base-T Hubs which I hope someone will be able to help me with. The question is as follows:

Assuming I have a 10Base-T Hub network with say, 4 PCs attached to the hub. If PC1 sends PC2 an email, PC1's NIC will naturally loop the frame it sends (to PC2) back to its own receive pair on the NIC. So, if a collision should occur (say PC3 sends to PC4 at the same time) the incoming signal from the hub plus the looped signal on PC1's NIC lets PC1 notice that there is a collision. So, my question is, how does PC1 know when and how to take down the looped signal on PC1's NIC assuming that the frame was sent correctly to PC2? Also, is the result the same if it sent many frames at a time? Is the NIC able to keep many frames on its loopback circuitry?

Thank you all in advance for helping me out with this question.

Kind regards,

Ashraf.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If more then one device transmits, it is sensed and all transmitting devices stop transmitting (fallback) and wait for a "random" (not really random, but calculated to be psuedo-random) period of time.

The receivers are always active ... it's not like a loop is put up and taken down for every transmission.

If the NIC senses signal on the receiver, at the same time it's getting feedback through the internal looping, it calls it a collision, JAMs (sends a JAM signal to signal other stations that a collision has occurred), and falls back.

After the fallback timer expires, it will again listen, then transmit if it senses the media is quiet.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If more then one device transmits, it is sensed and all transmitting devices stop transmitting (fallback) and wait for a "random" (not really random, but calculated to be psuedo-random) period of time.

The receivers are always active ... it's not like a loop is put up and taken down for every transmission.

If the NIC senses signal on the receiver, at the same time it's getting feedback through the internal looping, it calls it a collision, JAMs (sends a JAM signal to signal other stations that a collision has occurred), and falls back.

After the fallback timer expires, it will again listen, then transmit if it senses the media is quiet.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Scott

Is this what CSMA/CD does and takes care of?

Ta

Hi there! Thank you all for your replies.

gsalmon444, the answer to your question is yes. CSMA/CD algorithm basically ensures that no collisions occur or if they do that the NICs pick them up. The way they notice collisions is by having the signal the NIC sent out loop back onto its receive pair.

I hope that helps.

Dear Scott,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Your answer has certainly helped my understanding. I initially thought that the loop was put up and taken down for every transmission. So, I thank you very much for clarifying this particular point for me.

Wish you and all a lovely day!

Best wishes,

Ashraf.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card