cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM display names

achrich
Level 1
Level 1

Ive recently installed a clean version of LMS2.6 with all latest patches, device updates etc ( DFM 2.0.7 )

I`m wondering if anyone else has a problem where DFM will duplicate the devices in its in database and use IP`s of the devices in the alerts rather then the configured display name.

DFM uses the CMS database to get it`s device list.

All devices were entered with IP`s & DNS names, all checked and correct but for some reason DFM will just randomly use IP`s ( not on every device just a few )

Is there a way I can force it to use the display name for all devices ?

Cheers

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

DFM is the one application in LMS that does not and will not respect DCR display names. This is due to the way the EMC/Smarts engine manages the devices. You can adjust the way DFM resolves device names by changing DisplayNameFormat to MIBIISYSNAME in NMSROOT/objects/smarts/conf/discovery/discovery.conf, then re-adding your devices to DFM.

Of course, the other way to fix this is make sure that the IP address of the device resolves back to a hostname using the system resolver (i.e. test with the NMSROOT/bin/resolver.pl tool).

As for DFM duplicating devices, you may see instances where devices such as MSFCs get duplicated in DCR. This behavior can be turned off by editing NMSROOT/objects/vhm/config/inventorycollector/InventoryConfig.conf, and changing EnableContainedDevDisc to false, then restart dmgtd.

radsundas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

DFM uses the IP address of the device if the IP address cannot resolve to a host name(As configured in DNS). DFM does not consider the display name that you provide while adding to DCR(Common Service DCR display name).

In short, DFM will use the host name if it can resolve the IP address(during the discovery) else displays the device as IP address.

Thanks,

Radhika

All device`s have DNS names and all 100% correct ( we have other management platforms using the same entry`s ).

This just seems to be a random choice...not tried the above steps yet but thanks anyway.

Hi,

Have double checked the DNS with resolver.pl and everything seems OK.

Have also modified the displayname in discover.conf of DFM and its still using the IP`s.

I modified the file, removed all the devices from DFM and then resynced.

Do you think I may need to restart the whole process for it to take affect ?

Cheers

In this case, you may also need to set NameFormat = "TM_USEAUTONAME" in discovery.conf. And, yes, you will need to restart dmgtd, then delete and re-add your devices from DFM for this to take effect.

OK, thanks that seems to have made a difference, not all devices but most of them.

I can live with that for now !!!

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: