cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME Configuration Archival question

Jeff Law
Level 1
Level 1

I am running RMS 4.0.5 in a Windows 2003 environment.

I have a question regarding the list of devices that are reported when clicking n the number of devices that have failed, or are partially successful, on the Configuration Archival Summary window.

As we are still implementing CW in our environment, we do get some devices being discovered that havent been set up in the DNS. These show up on the list of failed devices. Having noticed this, I fix them up in the DNS, and then I manually alter their details in the database as well as enter the credentials for them.

I still however see them as they were orginally in the Failed devices list. Is there some trick to getting rid of these?

I would have thought that if I had altered their details in the database, then they would show up with their new details (name), but I still have them showing with their IP address.

Any ideas?

Regards

Jeff

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The devices should show up correctly in the list provided that their entries have been modified in DCR, and you did not just add the correct information as a new device.

However, the message (i.e. the reason for the failure) is statically coded in the database so you may see things like:

TELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to device.domain.com - Cause: Authentication failed on device 3 times. PRIMARY-RUNNING config Fetch Operation failed for TFTP.

This is purely aesthetic, and may not reflect what DCR thinks about this device's identity.

To remove a device from the archive Failed list, you must ensure that ALL of its supported configs have been successfully fetched. The best way to do this is schedule a Sync Archive job for the device, and click the "Fetch Startup Config" checkbox. Assuming all credentials are correct, RME should update all of the configs, and move the device to the Successful list.

If at least one config is successfully fetched, and at least one config fails, then the device will be listed under the Partially Successful category.