Views
Helpful
Replies

ios upgrade for vg224

Rob.Lacrosse
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Have a few vg224 ios upgrades to perform..They are straight out of the box and I need to get a new IOS image on them (12.4.6T5)...Have pulled image from cisco using cco account...and I need to put images onto vg224...

The vg224 will not be connected to a network at this time, so unable to use tftp method....Ive heard of another method but have never used (xmodem)..Could someone please point me in the right direction...Basically I want too download new image from my laptop to vg224

Thanks to all, Rob

3 Replies 3

lfulgenzi
Level 7
Level 7

The VG224 doesn't have to be connected to your network in order to use TFTP. If you connect the VG224 to your PC with a cross connect cable, you can install a TFTP server on your PC and then simply initiate the TFTP transfer from your PC. I would suggest that over XMODEM. XMODEM is a slow process compared to TFTP. I haven't used it in a while, but basically, you initiate the connection over the serial port, start the xmodem recieve process on the switch, then start the xmodem send process from your terminal program.

You have to connect the switch to your PC with a serial cable for XMODEM, so why not connect with a cross connect cable and use TFTP?

Just remember to assign both the switch and PC an IP address in the same network (ie. same subnet mask). You don't even have to change your PC's IP address (it will have to be manually set if you use DHCP though)

Hi Ifulgenzi...if I have time Ill give that a go...and if I can find a crossover

Any more advice, tips and tricks appreciated

Rob

If you don't have a cross-connect cable (or a tech who can make one or jack for you) then you can simple grab a small hub and plug both units in.

Let us know how it goes, Lelio.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: