cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how can i reset 7940 & 7960's phones

kcox
Level 1
Level 1

My company purchased some 7940 and 7960 phones. The phones have user passwords assigned to them that i do not have and want to reset them back to the factory standard. Is there any way that this can be done without the passwords?

Thanks in advance

14 Replies 14

mchandak
Level 7
Level 7

resetting the phone to the factory defaults would depend on the firmware the phones are running. are you using SIP or the default CM code of Skinny ??

We are using the factory default firmware.

I am talking about removing all of the settings from within the phone, i.e. Default GW, DNS settings, etc. These settings are under Settings, Network Configuration, restore to factory default.

Thanks again

As Mahesh says it depends on the protocol but if you are using skinny you can follow this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a00800941bb.shtml

the default password for this should be "**#" when you hit this button the phone should unlock. And once this is done, you can go to Settings --> Default. And this will restore the phone to Factory Defaults.

Check http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00801ebe73.html#wp1087381

I am following the pdf doc, and once at the date / time screen, typing **#, but it will still not unlock. I go to Settings, Network, Reset to Default and there is a lock (locked) on the seeing.

jbarcena
Level 9
Level 9

Of what password are you taking about? VoiceMail passoword?

jbarcena
Level 9
Level 9

Of what password are you talking about? VoiceMail passoword?

astrohmeier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

press the settings button. After that press **# Now enter the network settings menu and it will be unlocked.

Achim

If the phones are running the newer loads, then u need to hit the settings button first and then "**#". Also, can u check the firmware version on the device ?? Settings ---> Model Information ---> App Load ID.

I will check it today, and try the new recommendation of Settings first and get back to you.

Thanks for all of your help.

kcox
Level 1
Level 1

Also, I am trying to reset these WITHOUT a Call Manager server on the network.

doing a reset on the phone does not need the CM to be available.

Reset the phone by only pressing the Setting button and then **#**

jgross
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Factory Reset for Cisco 7940G and 7960G

1. Press and hold the # Key through the IP phone power cycle.

2. Press 123456789*0#.

3. Select the option ?No?.

Bye

Jo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: