Views
Helpful
Replies

Routers and interfaces.

KlediBodinaku24
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings.

I see all the new Routers have a max of 2 FE interfaces. Now my question is if there is any kind of FE interface module that can be added? What if I want to use a router to connect 4-5 different WAN's how should i operate?

Do I have to use any Switch interface module and than use router on a stick? Is this the only solution?

If this is so, is it possible to use a Cisco Switch Catalyst 2950 with standard IOS to implement Router on a Stick with a Cisco 2821 Router?

If not, what would be the appropriate module or cisco switch solution?

Please Send me some practical applications for my solution.

Regards

Kledi

4 Replies 4

gokula_chandran
Level 1
Level 1

You can get all these details from the url mentioned below http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5880/index.html

It's not the first time i view this page.

How do i get more FE interfaces?

ahmednaas
Level 4
Level 4

If you use a switch module like the NME-16ESW then you can use some of the ports on the module as routed ports (just like the built-in 2xFE ports) and use them for WAN/LAN connections.

keegan.holley
Level 1
Level 1

There are compatible 4 and 9 port ethernet WIC's available. Your 2821 should have 2 10/100/100 ports. If you aggregate bandwidth will not exceed 100 or 1000M I would suggest using router on a stick. You also have the option of upgrading to a 2960 which also have 10/100/1000M ports. Router is basically trunking to the router and should be an option with any model of switch. All you have to do is set the switch port to trunk and configure a sub-interface on the router as follows.

int f0/0.1

encapsulation dot1q 10

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

the number is the vlan on the switch that you want this interface to communicate in.

HTH,

Keegan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card