Views
Helpful
Replies

Redirecting traffic between 2 hosts

gavin.mckee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to redirect traffic from a host in our European network to a host in our US network. The routing table has a dedicated 2mb link to the US already installed, however I don't want to use this. I want to use a route map to set the next hop address of the traffic between the 2 hosts to a VPN router. Can this be done just for the 2 host that want to talk over this VPN and still allow all other traffic to traverse the route installed on the routing table?

Any help rated.

Gavin

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Gavin

You can achieve this by using source based routing but need more info how your networks are connected and where the source and destination is placed etc., so throw more lite and also if possible do post out a small topological diagram..

regds

Hi,

Please see an attached diagram with my proposed configuration included. Any insights would be great.

So source of the traffic is VLAN 155 and the destination hosts are listed. They are reachable through the WWW GRE Tunnels and via the Savvis WAN. I want the traffic to these hosts to go through the GRE tunnels.

Thanks

Hi Gavin,

I see you are using the policy route map inside the interface vlan 155. This is not an ideal thing to do. In cases were you are using PBR and applying it to SVI's, under the route-map you should use set ip default next hop command and not set ip next hop.

Other than that everything else looks fine. Just ensure your reverse traffic takes the same path.

HTH

Hoogen

Do rate if this soln helps out :)

hoogen_82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Gavin,

Yes this scenario is possible. Just make sure you have this PBR in place on both locations so that you avoid assymetric routing.

You have to only ensure that while configuring your PBR which might look like.

!

Route-map PBR permit 10

match ip address 110

set ip next-hop z.z.z.z

!

access-list 110 extended permit ip host x.x.x.x host y.y.y.y

!

where your x.x.x.x host resides in Europe and y.y.y.y resides in US.

Reverse the same in the US locaion configuration. And you should be able to achieve your purpose.

All other traffic will go through the normal routing table routes.

HTH

Hoogen.

Do rate if this helps you :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card