Views
Helpful
Replies

Expanding Network

anthonym
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking into making our (rather small) network more resiliant.

The attached files show the current network (CN.jpg) and the proposed network (PN.jpg). In the current network, the core switch is a CE500-12TC and the access switches are 3Com 4400-SEs with two CE500-24TTs.

I plan to implement 4 VLANs, for servers, printers, staff, and network management, so would want the distribution switches to be layer 3.

Firstly I am after any positive/negative comments about this design.

Secondly, what model of switch would you use for the core/distribution?

The access switches are being standardised as CE500-24TTs, except for the ones needing fiber connections with will be the 24-PC model.

Thanks

Anthony

6 Replies 6

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

For the core and distribution layers, cisco recommends to use higher end switches like 6500 and 4500 switches because these swithces support L3 functionality with high processor and large memory.

scheikhnajib
Level 1
Level 1

Mate,

I think that you network is too small to have 3 layers. You can consider a collapsed design where a single layer will function as core and distribution.

I would recommend a L3 switch in the collapsed core such as Catalyst 3650 or Catalyst 3750 ... A 4500 or 6500 will be very expensive for your implementation.

So 2 x 3650/3750 with standard multilayer image (you dont the enhanced image) and please get rid of the crap 3Com switches :-) ... an Express500 would be a good access switch for you or you can use the Catalyst 2960 instead.

Connect each of your access switches with two gig trunks to both core switches and interconnect both core switches with a multiple-gig ports and use EtherChannel. Configure HSRP on your core switches and you should have a nice running network after that.

Cheers.

S.

S,

Thanks for the reply. Would you recomend using the "stackwise" on the 3750, or just etherchannels? Do both the 3650 and 3750 include VLAN support?

The 3Com switchs will be going as far as I know!

By "two gig trunks to both core switches" do you mean use 4 Gbit ports? The CE500s only have 2....

Regards

Anthony

Anthony,

If you are willing to pay for the 3750 then yes you can use the StackWise since it will offer you 32G, or I think it's 64G now, between both switches.

Sorry for not being clear but I yes I meant a single gig to each one of the core switches so total of 2 gig for each axs switch.

Cheers.

S.

Thanks for the clarification.

Looking at the data sheets for the two switches, I think we will probably go for the 3650 anyway, I will look through in more detail later.

Regards

Anthony

Anthony,

If you are willing to pay for the 3750 then yes you can use the StackWise since it will offer you 32G, or I think it's 64G now, between both switches.

Sorry for not being clear but I yes I meant a single gig to each one of the core switches so total of 2 gig for each axs switch.

Cheers.

S.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card