cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wrong format of a syslog message

b.hofmann
Level 1
Level 1

I get syslog messages from a catalyst 4500 L3 version 12.2(25)SG which seems to be in a wrong format, because my syslog server did not find the keyword. The message has the format:

2007-02-19 12:11:09 Local7.Warning switchname 6262: Feb 19 12:11:08: %C4K_IOSMODPORTMAN-4-FANTRAYPARTIALFAILURE: A fan or thermistor/s in system fan tray have failed

But normally the syslog messages has no number behind the i meas the value 6262 and not the date and the time behind this value. The number will be increased by every syslog message. Can i configure anything,that i get another format in the message?, or must i change the software?

4 Replies 4

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Looking into the format of the message, but if might be a good idea to replace the problem fantray module as this message has been sent over 6000 times.

Jason Davis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your syslog event message looks properly formatted. The 6262 number is a serialization number telling us that this device has generated 6262 syslog event messages - not necessarily 6262 fan fail messages. Since Syslog is pushed on a UDP transport the sequential numbering lets us know if we've missed a message.

What syslog server software are you using that missing the keyword?

I use Kiwi syslogd version 7.02 which normally shows not the number and not the date for a message. The normal format is like this:

2007-02-18 23:02:08 Local7.Notice switchname %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet0/18, changed state to up

I found my problem in the kiwi syslog daemon, I was using 2 filter, and have now added the 2 keywords for what i search in one filter, and now it works fine. Thank you for your help