customer connection

Unanswered Question
Feb 19th, 2007

I need to give access to the internet to customers while they are waiting in our service department. I have to cross two IDFs that don't support VLAN. how do I give them access and still secure my Lan. I was thinking I could put in a router near customer service location with gateway being my internet router. Would this keep them off my internal network?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
john.preves Mon, 02/19/2007 - 12:19

Why not just pay to have a Cable modem put it like the rest of the great unwashed? Stick an AP to that and you should be good.

mpmccarron Tue, 02/20/2007 - 11:12

boss doesn't want to put out the money for extra cable link when there is more than enough capacity on our T-1 to support this project.

Kunal Singh Tue, 02/20/2007 - 04:23

You can place AP in service department. Creat guest vlan on switch add an ACL on switch so that guest vlan user just get access to internet.

[Service AREA]>>>>>AP-----Switch (guest vlan with ACL)------Gateway ISP

This will allow your customer to access internet and also keep them off from internal network access.

On AP

-SSID ( Broadcast) with any security like WEP/WPA-PSK if you like.

-Define guest Vlan

On switch

-Create guest vlan

- Make swtich port as acess port allow guest vlan traffic

- Define ACL to restrict Vlan user access

We are all set.

Thanks,

Kunal

mpmccarron Tue, 02/20/2007 - 11:10

intermediate switch does not support VLAN. I was wondering if putting a router between customer wireless LAN and my interal wired Lan would work

Actions

This Discussion