cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

customer connection

mpmccarron
Level 1
Level 1

I need to give access to the internet to customers while they are waiting in our service department. I have to cross two IDFs that don't support VLAN. how do I give them access and still secure my Lan. I was thinking I could put in a router near customer service location with gateway being my internet router. Would this keep them off my internal network?

4 Replies 4

john.preves
Level 4
Level 4

Why not just pay to have a Cable modem put it like the rest of the great unwashed? Stick an AP to that and you should be good.

boss doesn't want to put out the money for extra cable link when there is more than enough capacity on our T-1 to support this project.

Kunal Singh
Level 1
Level 1

You can place AP in service department. Creat guest vlan on switch add an ACL on switch so that guest vlan user just get access to internet.

[Service AREA]>>>>>AP-----Switch (guest vlan with ACL)------Gateway ISP

This will allow your customer to access internet and also keep them off from internal network access.

On AP

-SSID ( Broadcast) with any security like WEP/WPA-PSK if you like.

-Define guest Vlan

On switch

-Create guest vlan

- Make swtich port as acess port allow guest vlan traffic

- Define ACL to restrict Vlan user access

We are all set.

Thanks,

Kunal

intermediate switch does not support VLAN. I was wondering if putting a router between customer wireless LAN and my interal wired Lan would work

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: