cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Symbol PPT8800 Handheld Stopped working after Airespace Conversion

d.beaver
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently upgraded my wireless network by converting from autonomous to LWAPP. I have several Symbol PPT8800 handhelds I am using for AdminRX application using LEAP and 128 bit WEP. Once I converted the 1242 AP's to LWAPP and installed the controllers, I setup the same WLAN info as before, using the same SSID, LEAP, and WEP configuration. I also changed the DTIM to 10 upon Symbol's request. I am able to associate to the access point, but I never get authenticated. I also never get an IP address through DHCP. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and what did you do to resolve it. My AdminRX network is down until I can get this fixed. By the way, all of the laptops on the same WLAN work fine, just the symbol handhelds.

Thanks in advance for any help.

4 Replies 4

Darren Ramsey
Level 4
Level 4

AdminRX, Isn't that a McKesson product? We are piloting the PPT8800 and AdminRX on the WLC platform at 3 sites using WPA/TKIP. Not sure if that helps any since you are on LEAP.

It is a McKesson Product, but McKesson is telling us that this senario will not support WPA/TKIP. Can you tell me how you are doing this so we can do WPA, specifically, how to configure the PPT8800 for WPA? We would much rather do WPA than LEAP/WEP. My number is 828-442-8056 and would love to talk more about this if you have the time. Thank you so much.

David Beaver

wififofum
Level 4
Level 4

The problem has to do with the dynamic WEP key rotation slot used by the Symbols. It defaults to slot 3 and the controllers default to slot 0. You have to disable all WLANs and change this using the "config advanced eap key-index 3" command.

We're having other issues (power management) with Symbols as well, including the MC70 series. Anyone seen anything similar? They want us to change the DTIM to an unrealistic value (10) to support these things when everything else is fine.

Symbols are not CCX compatible. Once I converted some 1242s from autonomous to LWAPP, never got the Symbols in the WLAN again.

The scanners are MC9060 running Pocket PC 2003, and they only support 128-bits WEP keys which the 4400 WLC won't push to 12xx AP wlans.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: