cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding virtual terminal (vty) lines

bpillet
Level 1
Level 1

I've read in multiple places that you can increase the number of virtual terminal lines by typing "line vty [some high number]". When I try on a 2511 with IOS 12.2 installed, it responds with an error: "Invalid input detected". When I try "line vty ?", it responds with "<0-4> First Line number". When I try "line vty 0 ?", it responds with "<1-4> Last Line number". How can I get more than 5 virtual terminal lines? Do I have to enable protocol translation or something? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can't on a ancient box like that , 4 is max , most newer routers have up to 15 lines . not really sure why you would ever need more than 4 at 1 time anyway .

It says in http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008009f412.html#wp1001991 that a 2500 series router can have up to 182 virtual lines. I also have access to 2621 series routers which also have 182 virtual lines available. The reason I need so many is that I'm using udptn to multiplex a single serial line so that multiple tcp connections can listen to the serial data. I've configured udptn on the serial line to send data to the broadcast address. Now I want to connect to the router on multiple vty's and listen to the broadcast data.

As far as I remember, the number of available vty lines depends on the IOS that runs on that machine. So you might be able to get more lines by upgrading the software.

jain.nitin
Level 3
Level 3

Try using this command line vty 5-15.

Ninja

I figured out the solution to my wose. The version of IOS I was using did not support protocol translation and virtual asynchronous interfaces. By changing to the Remote Access Server feature set, I'm now able to have 182 vty lines.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card