Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The guest access.

I have got a network with 2 core switch 6500, access switch 2960 and the wireless. We maintain the VLAN database on the VMP server with the Mac address. Now the problem is that when ever I have a guest I have to register the Mac address of the guest laptop in the VMP server in order to give the access to the internet which is time taking. I need to give only the internet access to my guest. Please let me know what I need to do in order to avoid the Mac registration I need to have the authentication before access the internet. My guest can be in any of my room (around 22 rooms) I don?t have access point everywhere.

3 Replies 3

Paul Williams
Level 1
Level 1

I suspect the easiest option would be to define a "guest" VLAN that has access to the internet and then configure VMP to add any "unknown" MAC addresses to this VLAN as a default - sorry if this is a bit vague bu I'm a bit rusty on VMP

I too thought of that option but it is not avalable in the VMP server. please let me know if any other option is avalable.

In the VMPS database configuration file (the ASCII text file that is stored on your TFTP server accessible to the switch configured as the VMPS server) you should be able to have an entry such as...

!vmps fallback

where defines the "default" vlan for unrecognised addresses.

See the link below for details of the file format (not that I am trying to teach my grandma to suck eggs - but I find its always best to point at a reference).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007f9f3.html#wp1020073

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: