Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2821 How to create VLANS ?

edw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Real stupid question for me but I have to ask. I have a Cisco 2821 unit and I'm trying to create vlans; non of the normal commands (set vlan, int vlan etc) are accessible. I can access the vlan database and set names, but no ip's etc?

The unit is a cisco 2821 with a NME-16ES-1G-P card with IOS 12.4(2)T5

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

12 Replies 12

Ed,

I assume you want to configure VLAN interfaces, aka SVIs, to route traffic between the VLANs. In that case, try this;

int

encapsulation 1 --> where 1 is VLAN1. Set the encap to dot1q or ISL based on what trunking encap is set on the switch the interface is connected to.

ip address x.x.x.x/xx

int

encapsulation 2 --> where 2 is VLAN2.

ip address x.x.x.x/xx

Instead, if you had a different requirement can you clarify what exactly you want to do and we may be able to help you.

HTH

Sundar

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I used to use set vlan commands. New to the whole 12.4 stuff. which f0/0.1 interface is it to config ? surely I should be using interface vlan 1 etc ??

I am simply trying to create a set of vlans on the router to use on the switches connecting to it.

Thanks

Ed

Add the VLANs from the VLAN database. The output below is from a 3725 router. I am sure the command structure on a 2800 is similar to this one.

R5#vlan data

R5(vlan)#vlan 5 name test

VLAN 5 added:

Name: test

R5(vlan)#apply

APPLY completed.

R5(vlan)#show

VLAN ISL Id: 1

Name: default

Media Type: Ethernet

VLAN 802.10 Id: 100001

State: Operational

MTU: 1500

Translational Bridged VLAN: 1002

Translational Bridged VLAN: 1003

VLAN ISL Id: 2

Name: VLAN0002

VLAN 802.10 Id: 100002

VLAN ISL Id: 5

Name: test

VLAN 802.10 Id: 100005

HTH

Sundar

Hi,

Thanks - but how do I then assign the ip address for vlan gateway ? IE for gateways for the PCs on the vlan etc ?

Thanks

Ed

There are two ways you can configure a router/layer 3 switch to route traffic between VLANs. You can configure VLAN interfaces, aka SVIs, if your router supports it. The command to configure SVI is 'int vlan (#)' from the config mode. Or, if the router doesn't support SVIs then you need to configure sub-interfaces like I had mentioned in my previous posting.

HTH

Sundar

Hi,

Thanks for the help. WHat Im finidng difficult is where do I assigned the ip for the vlan itself. The email re int fa0/0.1 - doesnt this mean im assigning a ip address to the port rather than the vlan ?

Thanks

Ed

You don't assign an IP to the VLAN itself. When you create a VLAN from the VLAN database mode all you are doing is making the switch aware of a broadcast domain. Then, you assign switch (layer2) ports to that VLAN. To route traffic between the VLANs you need a layer 3 interface, like SVI or sub-int, and that's where you apply the IP address. Hope I made it clear.

HTH

Sundar

Hi,

Thanks again - yep understand that. Ive being using C6006 Routers so used to the set vlan command structure.

The bit I'm mis understanding is the sub-int part - which interface should the vlan be under IE my 2821 unit has two gigabit ports and also a 16 port netowrk module which is viewed as another gigabit port... so where do I configre the vlans as sub interfaces ??

Thanks

Ed

This part is up to you. If you are using your gigabit interface as the inside, then you would sub-interface that interface.

Hi,

Thanks - Im having a problem with VTP now thou - I have configured the Giga1/0 as vlan 1 with ip and then 1/0.1 as vlan 2.

Set the router to server with domain name and then swtich card to client with domain name and its not proagating ??

Help im confused - dont have this problem on my boxes - why does cisco change the commands for the SMB boxes - its pointless..

Thanks

Ed

You wouldn't put an IP address on giga1/0. You would put it in the following interfaces:

giga1/0.1

giga1/0.2

Well, unfortantly if I don't the switch doesnt work and I can access the switch IOS in on the card ????? Then when I try to apply another ip on the vlan 1 range it complaines its overlapping ??

Using 1219 out of 245752 bytes

!

version 12.4

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

no service password-encryption

!

hostname R-CORE-01

!

boot-start-marker

boot-end-marker

!

enable secret 5 $1$YOGa$gQdMjrhxhzHFVbHZ1RI9j1

enable password Mother2

!

no aaa new-model

!

resource policy

!

ip subnet-zero

!

!

ip cef

no ip dhcp use vrf connected

!

!

!

!

!

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

vlan-range dot1q 1 3

exit-vlan-config

!

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

no ip address

shutdown

duplex auto

speed auto

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0

no ip address

no mop enabled

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0.1

encapsulation dot1Q 1 native

ip address 10.1.1.254 255.255.255.0

no snmp trap link-status

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0.2

encapsulation dot1Q 3

ip address 10.3.1.254 255.255.255.0

no snmp trap link-status

!

ip classless

!

no ip http server

!

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

!

I have connected a switch to the gi0/0 port as well and VTP is not sync with that oe either ???

VTP Version : 2

Configuration Revision : 2

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 48

Number of existing VLANs : 13

VTP Operating Mode : Server

VTP Domain Name : JOY

VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled

VTP V2 Mode : Enabled

VTP Traps Generation : Disabled

MD5 digest : 0x11 0x3F 0xA6 0xF3 0xDF 0x2C 0xCF 0x1B

Configuration last modified by 10.1.1.11 at 2-21-07 13:09:48

Local updater ID is 192.168.1.1 on interface Gi0/0 (first interface found)

Thanks

Ed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: