cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 4500 ios upgrade question

rhopkins_nci
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently running cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25ewa6 on a catalyst 4503 supervisor II plus TS, which doesnt support SSH management. Will upgrading to one of the following do the job:

12.2.31-SGA1 (ED)

12.2.31-SGA (ED)

12.2.31-SG1 (ED)

12.2.31-SG (ED)

12.2.25-SG1 (ED)

12.2.25-SG (ED)

I want to keep the same functionality but just add ssh. Also, which one should I go with, the latest 12.2.31-SGA1 (ED)? And can someone explain what the letters represent, EWA6, SG, SGA1, ED, etc. Thanks for the help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The image that i have suggested is the same one but just with an addition of ssh support. The image that you have got is defferred. So its good if you upgrade.

There is no specific advantage or disadvantage between the three atleast not much between the image you have and what i have given. The third one is ipbase with some more additional features. You can go through the feature lookup for that.

HTH

Hoogen

Please do rate if my post has helped you :)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Any of those images that has k9 in the image name should support ssh , must have k9 in the image name.

hoogen_82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

Your ideal image should be cat4000-i9k91s-mz.122-25.EWA8.bin and also do ensure you have 32 mb flash and 256 mb dram. This would ensure same functionality.

Follow the link

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Iosplanner/Planner-tool/iosresult.cgi?get_crypto=&data_from=&hardware_name=CAT4500-SUP2-PLUS-TS&software_name=BASIC%20L3%203DES%20%28RIP%2CST.ROUTERS%2CIPX%2CAT%29&release_name=12.2.25-EWA8&majorRel=12.2&state=:H...

But if you do want to get SG images you can use this cat4500-ipbasek9-mz.122-31.SGA1.bin but this requires higher flash 64mb and dram is still 256mb.

The link

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Iosplanner/Planner-tool/iosresult.cgi?get_crypto=&data_from=&hardware_name=CAT4500-SUP2-PLUS-TS&software_name=IP%20BASE%20SSH&release_name=12.2.31-SGA1&majorRel=12.2&state=:HW:RL:SW&type=Early%20Deployment

HTH

Hoogen

Do rate if this helps :)

Thanks for the great info, just for curiosity, what is the difference in functionality and features of these images including the one Im running currently. Is the Basic L3 DES the same as my current one but the addition of ssh? Are there any advantages b/w the three? What exactly is the IP Base? Sorry for all the questions, new to this and just trying to learn. Thanks again.

The image that i have suggested is the same one but just with an addition of ssh support. The image that you have got is defferred. So its good if you upgrade.

There is no specific advantage or disadvantage between the three atleast not much between the image you have and what i have given. The third one is ipbase with some more additional features. You can go through the feature lookup for that.

HTH

Hoogen

Please do rate if my post has helped you :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card