cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 506 is shutting down about every 90 minutes

msmith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I am having trouble with my PIX simply shutting down. I don't have any idea what is causing this. I have run virus scans and spyware scans on the computers attached to the network and that hasn't addressed the issue (thought a port was flooding).

The PIX is running OS v 6.2(2). I have seen where there were issues about possible shutdowns due to SIP or HTTP traffic, but I am not sure this applies.

Any suggestions on where to start looking?

6 Replies 6

vitripat
Level 7
Level 7

If its a PIX-506, it might be affected by following field notice (though expired):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_field_notice09186a00800949c6.shtml

"The presence of a version tracking label on the underside of the PIX 506 chassis with version "800-06929-02 A0" or later indicates that this unit contains the new connector and tie-down. This label is placed on newly manufactured units as well as those reworked by Service to contain the new connector and tie-down, so this indication holds true even for systems with older serial numbers."

If this tracking label is not there, your PIX is under the field notice and needs replacement.

Is there any way to verify this other than taking the thing off-line?

You dont need to take the device offline. First, you need to find the serial no. of the device. You can find the serial no. in the output of "show version" command. Next match if the serial no. falls under the range provided in the field notice.

If it falls, then only you need to verify if there is a tracking label on the device. If there isnt, then you will need a replacement. If there is a tracking label, we need to look in a different direction.

It has tracking label (800-06929-03 B0) which I believe indicates that the problem was addressed and the new connector is present.

Great .. is this PIX configured to log syslogs to a server? If yes, we need to take a look at the logs during the time when your PIX went down abruptly. Also, check if you have anything in the output of following command-

"show crash"

Well. It looks like the power was an issue. It wasn't that the cable inside the PIX was bad, but apparently it needed to be unplugged and the plugged in again. It has been running fine ever since. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card